Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

It's been a long, tough slog through the muck, hasn't it? My mother, the erstwhile politics junkie (as long as it's all about the Democrats, of course) was overheard sighing at dinner Sunday and saying, "You know what I'm looking forward to? It being all over!" I think it's a sentiment that many of us could wholeheartedly agree with.

While it's been disheartening to be so frustrated, and occasionally disgusted, by the machinations of the parties and their candidates, I still find myself feeling deeply connected to the system and to my country, as flawed as I may find it and its government at times. From something as simple as watching John Adams and being moved, to something more profound like the thrill I still have when casting my own vote, it's clear that despite my often cynical and disappointed harping, I'm still bound to my country and the ideals that drove its creation.

I hope we all take a moment tomorrow and make our voices heard. Not only is our country worth that effort, so are we.

(Okay, so maybe a '40's pinup girl isn't the first thing we think about when exercising our right to vote, but you've got to admit she was probably effective. Besides, you try to find vintage, interesting "vote!" clip art when you have zero patience wading through the morass that is Google.)

2 comments:

Becca said...

Nothing like a mostly naked girl holding a "Vote" sign over her breasts to inspire one to do their civic duty. ^_^

Lena said...

LOL! Becca's comment made me laugh out loud.

I've just enjoyed a great few minutes here, catching up on all of your dry and witty posts. I have a feeling that the two of us share a love of irony.

I agree with your mom, I'm glad that the election is over. There is something about elections that does bring out the worst in so many folks. I know it did that to me more than just a couple of times over the last few months, for which I am sorry. Fortunately, elections also remind us of what is wonderful about our country too. I hope the future is a bright one, for Democrats,Republicans and Independents alike.

P.S. I always get that feeling from the Norelco Santa too!